Tuesday, October 16, 2007

World of Warcraft meets "The Elephant Song"?


It's been about four years now since my first kids' CD came out. I'm grateful that it was received so well (it's hard to say for sure if I'd still be doing this if that was a flop), but I never would have imagined that one of the tracks, which was the first real kids' song I ever wrote, "The Elephant Song", would still be going strong years later.

I've had many people tell me how their family has adapted "The Elephant Song" in some way... a clothes version, a food version, a toy version, etc. I performed my own Halloween version ("Vampires, I like vampires", etc.) at an event last year. We've got The Elephant Book in the works, and there's been the new recording featuring my girls on my recent Snail's Pace CD. And we might still do a new version of the video at some point (the video as it is was only ever supposed to be a demo). It's been really nice that so many people have appreciated that song so much, and it's sort of taken on a life of its own.

For example, nothing could have prepared me for the tip off I received this morning about the video above, made by Meeko of Hakkar. Wow! Or should I say "WoW"? It's definitely a unique interpretation, and I had to laugh out loud at some parts, like where I say, "They don't? Well, what am I thinking of?" and at the end where the minotaur scratches his bottom and then bursts into tears. Okay, the donkey is a horse, but you gotta give him credit because you can tell he put a lot of work into it and it was a very funny idea.

4 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

This is certainly a lot family-friendlier than the other WoW usic video I know and appreciate but won't link here.

I'm officially requesting an mp3 of the Halloween version of the Elephant Song. Please!

Eric Herman said...

Ah, sorry, Alkelda. No such recording exists. It was just meant for the event I played last year. But I did scrape up the lyrics...

Vampires, I like vampires
I like how they fly off on broomsticks

Witches, I like witches
I like how they grow fur in moonlight

Werewolves, I like werewolves
I like how their green skin glows, in UFOs
when they come to invade the Earth

Gotta like aliens
Wrapped up in pyramid crypts

Mummies, I like mummies
I like how they say, “Brains! Brains!”

Zombies, I like zombies
I like how they bite necks to drink blood
and turn into bats

Vampires, I like vampires

Saints and Spinners said...

Beautiful. I think you would enjoy Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich by Adam Rex.

Anonymous said...

Hello Eric, thanks for the fine words about my video! Made me smile :D
I maybe have a plan of making a new version of one of your other songs. The Elephant Song was actually more a test, than a video. It was my first so-called "machinima" movie. That means something like "machine cinema", computermade movies. But I will contact you if I decide to make a new video of one of your songs!

Meeko//Brtlsn